Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Unedited You

Today, I'm writing about something close to my heart.

Eating disorders. AnorexiaBulimia. Starving yourself. Distorted body image.

These things are serious problems in today's world, and no one seems to realize or care. When I was in high school, I suffered from a form of bulimia. While I didn't purge and use laxatives or make myself throw up; I would eat, feel guilty, and then skip a meal. It was a problem, and I realized it was a problem when I began lying to my dad, Papa Maxwell, about eating. I'd come home from work, and he'd ask if I had eaten anything (because he would have made me something anything, if I wanted it), and even though I hadn't, I'd lie and say I did. Simply because I thought I needed to fix myself.

Today, I am past that problem. Yes, I'm health conscious, or try to be anyways. Although I do love my oreos and toaster pastries and ice cream. *wink* And even though I'd love to tone up my thighs, I'd love to get rid of the extra tummy I see when I look in the mirror, I'd love to be able to run more than a mile without feeling like I'm dying -- I know that I am loved for who I am. God created me to be - me. He doesn't care if I weigh 130lbs or 230lbs. He wants me to be the best me that I can be. A confident, beautiful, sarcastic, witty, crazy, spontaneous, smart, 20-something, 5'8" 130lb woman.

The media tells me that I need to get rid of all the blemishes on my face, that I need to be a size 2, that I need to have big boobs, firm butt, perfect tummy and legs, and gorgeous hair that is perfect. All. The. Time. I started modeling for two of my friends who do photography. And someone came in to my office the other day and said "I love your profile pictures, you look like a model! But how come you never look like that in person." WHAT.  Oh, I'd love to have the time to spend 2 hours on my hair every day, pick out the perfect outfit that looks like something off Pinterest, and spend 30-40 minutes on my makeup. But LIFE calls, and I can't do that. I was hurt, and just a little angry with this person.

As another blogger said....  quite well in her post Crazy Straws or Straight Ones?

YOU are worth something.
YOU are worth MUCH MORE than the numbers on a scale.
YOU are worth MUCH MORE than the numbers on clothes.


These women are different: they're size 2-14, they're not perfect,
they have curves, flaws, tummies, different skin colors,
but the one thing they have in common, is they're beautiful. 

Take a minute and check out the post, and the links below for more information.  
This is what the media tells us to look like...
God created us to be beautiful...


What's your first reaction? 
After looking again.... and thinking about it... does your reaction change? 

No comments:

Post a Comment