Monday, February 11, 2013

Love Shouldn't Have Stipulations


ImageA friend told me the other day that his girlfriend won’t let him propose until he has a job that can support her. Now, maybe I’m screwed in my thinking, but if I love someone, I’d let them propose to me with or without a job. Would we get married until that job arrived? Probably not. But my heart broke for this guy who was so excited to finally get the ring, and have everything planned to propose, and then she laid this one on him.
It got me to thinking… love shouldn’t have stipulations. There shouldn’t be conditions that one must meet in order to gain love. Yes, trust is a huge issue, but if you cannot trust a person, how can you love them? That is a hopeless situation anyway. I know we’re all human, and that no one is perfect. But if we love a person, then why do we put so many stipulations and conditions on that love?
Maybe I’m naive, maybe i’m “too young,” maybe I’m just unprepared for “real life” as I’ve heard it said. No, I’m not. I may not know everything, but I know one thing, Mr. Java and I have something special. Yes, its long distance for right now, and yes there will be  adjustments when he finally gets to live in the same town as me – but I’m not putting any undue pressure on him to live up to some unrealistic standards. My love is a choice, because of the amazing man that he is (and was) before I fell in love with him. I didn’t try to change who he was after deciding to date him, and I don’t want to change him now!
I think that is why so many relationships today fail. People play games, they don’t know what they want, are too picky, and they put stipulations on their love. Yes, love may be a feeling, but its not the romantical (yes I know that’s not a word), mushy, gushy, crush love you see in movies. Real love,between a man and a woman, is a choice.
I don’t believe in playing games, stringing people along, or immature little “if you do this, I’ll give you that” kind of ploys. That is the problem in today’s world. People play games.

No comments:

Post a Comment