I've been hearing a lot of people talk about listening. My friends tell me I'm a good listener. Sometimes... I think people just want to be heard. I know I've often called Mama Maxwell, not because I wanted advice, or instructions; simply to be heard. I just wanted her to listen.
I feel like we meet people out in the world; a coffee shop, the grocery check-out line, bus stop, and all we do is pass them by. In the elevator today, 4 out of the 5 people besides me, had their cell phones out. No polite conversation, no idle chit chat, just silence (and the clicking of cell phone keys). It makes me wonder what difference it would make if we all just stopped and listened for a few minutes. Walk outside without earbuds in, or without looking at your cell phone every 2 seconds. What do you hear? Who do you hear?
You may be surprised.
Just listen.

No comments:
Post a Comment