Monday, March 25, 2013

It Happens in a Blink








We got about 5 inches of snow last night and I almost wrecked my car 4 times on the way to work. It was terrifying, and I literally saw my life flash before my eyes. It made me extremely grateful that I have a wonderful mom who will calm me down, and a boyfriend who loves me more than anything in the world. Neither of them were with me, but for once, I was very glad we have such awesome technology.
After I called off work and got home safely (it took over 30 minutes to drive 4 miles), I was thinking back over the last year. If you had told me last March that I’d be where I am now, i probably would have laughed in your face. Two bad relationship experiences, two bad friend experiences, and a lot of adventures later, I am here. I love the place my life is in right now. I graduate with my first bachelor’s degree in 47 days. I’m still waiting to hear from the small college I want to finish my second degree with, the lady said it’d be sometime in the beginning of June. Mr. Java won’t know until October at the earliest where he will be after graduation from the academy. I think he’s pulling for this same town, even though I’ve already told him wherever he wants to go, I’ll follow. My career plans are flexible, I can be a hospice nurse anywhere; its his lifetime career that will be on the line.
He left for the academy yesterday. In my mind, I had thought he was gone for the entire two weeks with absolutely no contact. I usually am not a crying person, but I broke down yesterday morning (after an awful migraine the night before which Mr. Java so graciously helped me suffer through). He then laughed a little bit and said “why are you crying? Its only 5 days. I’ll be back on Friday.” I don’t think I’ve ever been happier in my life. He and I have been best friends for over a year. We have talked every single day since June of last year, and I wasn’t quite sure how this was going to go. But thank goodness he’ll be back in 4 days, AND we get to go to a Easter Sunrise service together!
One thing that has stuck out in my mind is that I took what was right in front of me for granted for so long. Mr. Java had been pursuing me for a year before I realized what I had in him. I didn’t want to ruin a friendship, but I also didn’t want to miss out on the chance to have a great relationship if he still had feelings for me. I know waiting on the right one is hard. Its gets lonely, and difficult because you see (what seems like) ALL of your friends getting engaged, or married, or having babies. But don’t get discouraged. Your time will come, and maybe you’ve already met that special person, you just haven’t been willing to admit to yourself that they could be that special someone. Evaluate the people in your life, maybe there is someone right under your nose that you didn’t realize. If you feel like you’re stuck in one place with no one on the horizon, join an exercise class, or small group at your church, or put yourself out there at a club or party and meet some new people. You never know when your “other half” may show up.
Another small piece of advice i was given when I was in that “single” year, was to strengthen the friendships that I have. Put time and effort into the ones that you want to last. Friends can be a great source of encouragement, and can keep those lonely thoughts and moments at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment